Expat Life

Introduction  1 A Note About Cuenca  2 How This Book Is Organized  3 Why We Wrote This Book  4 Similarities and Differences with English  8   Part One: Learning at Home Chapter One: What To Expect from the Spanish Adventure Acquiring a First Language: How We Learn  10 Learning a Second Language at an Older Age...
Introduction  7 People Watching in Parque Calderón 9 Abdón Calderón, Revolutionary Hero  9 The Park Scene 10 Around the Park 11 Shopping at the Mercados  15 The Mercados of El Centro 15 Feria Libre 17 The Coopera 19 Dining Out  21 Almuerzos  21 North American  23 Chinese  24 Ecuadorian  24 Gourmet  25 Indian  25 Italian...
Ecuador banks are scrambling to establish rules for U.S. citizen account holders to comply with new IRS reporting requirements. The new rules will affect existing accounts as well as new accounts belonging to U.S. citizens. According to spokespersons at Banco Pinchincha and Banco Internacional, the rules are the result of the U.S. Foreign Account Tax...
This survey was completed by 352 people. Of the 318 who answered the first question, 55% took Spanish in school, with 42% taking French, and a surprising 23% studying Latin, while 20% took German. From the comments, respondents also studied Russian, Portuguese, Swahili, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Javanese, Afrikaans, Italian, Arabic, Hebrew, Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, Greek,...
By Deke Castleman This survey, conducted in January 2013, received 282 responses: 240 from Cuenca and 42 from miscellaneous places around the country (Vilcabamba, the coast, Quito, Loja, Cotacachi/Otavalo, etc.). Just over 200 respondents rented (73%); the rest (27%) owned. Just under half of the renters paid $300-$499 per month. Another 15% shelled out $500-$599;...
By Michael Corkery As government regulators crack down on the financing of terrorists and drug traffickers, many big banks are abandoning the business of transferring money from the United States to other countries, moves that are expected to reverse years of declines in the cost of immigrants sending money home to their families. Some financial...
Introduction 1 Chapter One Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Viagra, But … 4 Chapter Two Viagra Versus Levitra and Cialis  20  Chapter Three Cuenca or Bust  29 Chapter Four How Much Does Sildenafil Cost in Cuenca?  38 Chapter Five: ¿Cómo Está Su Español? 46 Chapter Six Getting Through Customs  52 Chapter Seven Do...
By Deke Castleman Among the first sights noticed by newcomers to Cuenca, along with the billowing white clouds, the rolling green hills, and the red-tile roofs, are the big blue and red buses that spew black fumes into the otherwise colorless alpine air. Hundreds of them bomb around town, from roughly 5:45 a.m. till 10...
Editor’s note: Adapting to life in Ecuador is an on-going topic of conversation among North American expats. Yolanda Reinoso Barzallo turns the tables and tells the story of being an Ecuadorian living in the Middle East and the U.S. She is a native of Cuenca and the author of a novel, Días de Arena y...
By Ashley Armstrong A few months ago there was an article in CuencaHighLife about what Cuencanos think of the gringos living here. If I remember correctly, it was about a grad school project by a University of Cuenca student. A lot of the comments were positive. The locals said that the foreigners brought higher standards...
Although Carnival continues through Tuesday, Sunday was the centerpiece of the five-day festival in most of Ecuador. Celebrations in Cuenca, Paute, Gualaceo, Sigsig and other nearby towns, featured costume parades, native dances and plenty of food. The highlight in every venue, though, seemed to be the (mostly) good-natured water and foam fights, a fact that foreigners...

Dani News

Hogar Esperanza News

Google ad

Fund Grace News

Google ad

The Cuenca Dispatch

Week of July 14

Ecuador’s Country Risk Drops to 1,278 Points but Remains High Due to Persistent Uncertainties.

Read more

New Law Enforces Stricter Penalties Following Popular Consultation and Referendum.

Read more

Replacing Combustion Vehicles with Clean Energy Vehicles: Migration in Ecuador Already in the Plans of Automotive Brands.

Read more

Property Manabi News

Property Challuabamba News

Amazon Eco Lodge News

Happy Life

Property 38 acres News