Ecuador’s New Professional Visa Requirement: ISCED Certification

Jan 6, 2023 | 0 comments

Expats, have as of late, been asking me in droves about the new requirement for the International Standard Classification of Education (“ISCED”) Certificate, in regards to Ecuador’s Professional Visa form of 2 year Temporary Residency (convertible to Permanent Residency or renewable as yet again a 2 year Temporary Residency). That’s surely because, now it’s absolutely required, in order to be able to register one’s foreign University Degree with the Secretariat of Higher Education, Science, Technology and Innovation (“SENESCYT”), which is the organization that approves/certifies all foreigners’ University Degrees in Ecuador.

As such, I will do my very best in my remarks within this piece, so as to dispel any issues, qualms or problems that are arising with Expats’ foreign Universities, per obtaining the now always required ISCED document (Certificate) that’s part and parcel hereof this article.

That is to say, whether a foreigner’s University is on the Approved list for SENESCYT or not, one must obtain a further Certificate that’s known internationally amongst ALL internationally accredited Universities worldwide as an “ISCED Certificate”, which needs to explain the fullest certification details of your University Degree in respect to the relevant international standards. This ISCED Certificate also needs to be Notarized by the Registrar’s office of the foreigner’s University.  Thereafter, the foreigner needs to request either an Apostille (generally applicable in the case of a University located in the USA, Europe or Latin/South America) or alternatively a Double Legalization (generally applicable in the case of a University located in Canada, China, most of Asia, Africa and the Middle East) of the ISCED Certificate.

ISCED Certification of a foreigner’s University Degree does NOT alter, replace, supersede or otherwise withdraw the now many year old requirements of ADDITIONALLY providing in Apostilled or Double Legalized form, their University Degree’s Diploma (this can always be reordered if/when lost), University Transcripts (including from any University they may have previously transferred credits from) and University Mode of Study Letter (this confirms the way in which one performed their studies and whether they were in any way or even if only done online).

Regardless of whether you might plan to move to Ecuador on a Professional Visa form of Temporary Residency, or just simply wish to have the option of relocating to/working in Ecuador for the future, it’s also necessary to comply with the above requirements for purposes of University Degree registration with SENESCYT (including with respect to the new ISCED Certification being necessary for all foreigner’s University Degrees being registered). 

And so, the very best advice I can provide you is to always speak with an Ecuadorian Immigration Attorney as soon as you have the idea to register your University Degree in Ecuador, per which I always gladly provide a complimentary consultation by video call via WhatsApp or Zoom, or of course in person for those who wish to come meet at my office. 

Ecuador provides foreigners with many types of opportunities to live and/or work in the country, thus it’s up to each individual as per which one as well as route they will seize upon.

Attorney Sara Chaca

Sara Chaca (Attorney - Abogada) is a seasoned Ecuadorian Lawyer, who principally serves Expats in making their moves to Ecuador for Visa and Legal matter purposes, as her Expat clients begin their new lives here in her beautiful country. Sara resides in Cuenca with her family, and when not working, she enjoys spending time with her family in Cuenca’s majestic Cajas Mountains, including the many local parks & fairs of Cuenca, plus visiting the coast as well as many gem towns of Ecuador. Sara’s personal email address is and her law office's fully informative website is - her Ecuadorian cell phone number is 099-296-2065 and her Toll Free "800" phone number for US & Canadian callers is 1-(800)-655-1581. Sara has a less than 24 hour first response policy, in that if you email or call her, she WILL return your first email or first phone call in less than 24 hours (more typically in closer to 24 minutes!). Most importantly, all first time consultations with Expats for any type Visa or Legal matter(s) are always FREE OF CHARGE. VIEW ATTORNEY SARA CHACA'S SELF-PUBLISHED "KINDLE" BOOK ON MOVING TO ECUADOR, THAT'S AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PERUSAL ON AMAZON.COM HERE.

Byron Quito – DentastiQ


Blue Box

Google ad


Gypsy Tv

Fund Grace

Google ad

The Cuenca Dispatch

Week of December 03 

A Simple Box of Food.

Read more

Daniel Noboa and the newly appointed Military Chief discuss a campaign against organized crime.

Read more

Historic legal victory returns ancestral land to Ecuador’s Siekopai indigenous people.

Read more

Richard Lavery

Subscribe to our newsletter

Cuenca High Life offers on-line publications, local translated news, and reports about the expat life and living in Ecuador. 

You have Successfully Subscribed!