Hola, Todos –
De la pagina cultural –
Concierto – Maestro Eduardo Fernandez, from Uruguay, will play a concert as part of the 9th Festival de Guitarras sábado a las 19:30 in the theater of the CCE on Luis Cordero between Sucre and Presidente Cordova.
Día Internacional de los Museos – There will be a parade sábado a las 10:00 starting in the parque de San Blas. There is an ongoing exhibit titled “La Economía del Azuay: el sombrero de paja toquilla y la banca privada” (The Economy of Azuay: straw hat and private banking ) in the Museo del Sombrero (Calle Larga 10-41 y Padre Aguirre).
Otras cosas –
Titular – ‘Centros’ de faenamiento clandestino, clausurados (Clandestine slaughterhouse ‘centers’, closed) – 6 properties were inspected by Agrocalidad and Policia Judicial early Thursday morning for the presumed crime of contamination of material destined for human consumption. The abattoirs were located in residential areas on av. Loja, Isabel la Católica and Primero de Mayo, and operated in the middle of the night creating noise and bad smells. They slaughtered pigs, cows and chickens in unsanitary conditions without veterinary verification. <The photo in the paper shows a blood covered concrete floor with 2 dead pigs and a dog snacking on bits of stuff.> The meat was sold to the mercados and also transported in unrefrigerated trucks. <Did I just take hornado (chancho) off your menu?>
10 problems with the tram – (Also see Thursday’s article in CHL for more info.) There are at least 10 obstacles the Municipio has to overcome before the Tranvía can operate commercially.
1. Mediation – The city is in mediation with ACTN, which was contracted with to complete the project.
2. Litigation – The city is in litigation with CCRC <the original contractor> in Chile over return of a $27 million payment.
3. Maintenance – The contract for about $15 million for maintenance has not been signed.
4. Integration – The system to integrate the tram with buses has not been defined. There should be one fare when the buses serve as feeders to the tram line.
5. Fare – The Tranvía fare still has not been decided although the recommended fare is $.35.
6. Licences – The Tranvía operators need to get a special license for this type of transport.
7. Approval – The Tranvía needs to be approved by the transit authority, in this case, the Agencia Nacional de Tránsito (ANT).
8. Security – The Tranvía needs a security and contingency plan against any eventuality that may arise. <And they will arise – probably in the first 10 days.>
9. Education – It’s recommended that there be an ongoing education plan for children and other pedestrians.
10. Training – Before the tram starts functioning, there needs to be a plan to train drivers who will be driving next to the tram. <Oh boy, Gran Colombia and La Mar are just accidents waiting to happen. Pedestrians jaywalking on a diagonal, cars jockeying for space, and the tram which can’t dodge out of anyone’s way.>
Bus Drivers’ Union – The Sindicatos de Choferes Profesionales in the country are concerned about the reforms to the Ley Orgánica de Tránsito y Transporte Terrestre. One reform is that drivers transporting passengers or cargo cannot drive if they have less than 15 points on their license, and it will be a crime to drive with no points. Private drivers can be sentenced to 1-3 years in prison and bus drivers to 3-5 years. <I wonder how many points those drivers who have been involved in all the recent bus crashes had on their licenses – both when they were hired and when they crashed. Would this law have weeded out a few of them?>
SOLCA – The hospital has got a new scintigraphy imaging machine in their nuclear medicine unit.
Audit of AP – The Comptroller’s office is auditing the accounts of AP (Alianza País) for the period 1/1/2013 to 31/12/2017. It will look at election funds disbursed from CNE to AP from 1/1/2011 to 31/12/2017. This audit came about as a recommendation in the “Receta de arroz verde” (Green Rice Recipe) case.
Trade – Trade between the European Union and Ecuador has increased 30% in the 3 years since the trade agreement was signed. 241 Ecuadorian products were introduced into the European market. The import of European cars has gone up from 1,519 cars in 2016 to 8,810 in 2018.
Descuentos y compras –
JAC – Open house, 17 & 18/5 with extended hours – S3 for $19,990.
And that’s all for today so Hasta ? –