Cuenca High Life logo
Click here to subscribe to daily news sent to your inbox!
Click here to subscribe to our weekly eNewspaper sent to your inbox!

Cuenca News

Journalists’ kidnapper arrested, Ecuador tells Bolivia, Venezuela to mind their own business, Cuenca opera production rehearsed

Kidnapper, suspected murdered of Quito journalists captured

Colombian police announced Friday that they have arrested one of the men who participated in the kidnapping and murder of three Quito journalists. The Santander de Quilichao prosecutor’s said yesterday that Vargas Cuajiboy is in custody in a local jail. The prosecutor claims that Cuajiboy was fourth in command of the ex- FARC military unit that now calls itself the Oliver Sinisterra Front. According to news reports, Cuajiboy guarded the reporting team from the El Comercio newspaper and was involved in the murders.

Vargas Cuajiboy
Cuenca Symphony Orchestra rehearsing opera production

The Cuenca Symphony Orchestra is in rehearsals for this week’s performance of the opera “Eunice.” In addition to the orchestra, the production will feature members of several Cuenca chorus groups, invited soloists and actors. The opera will be presented on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday before beginning a nationwide tour.

Ecuador tells Venezuela, Bolivia to stay of its business

Ecuador’s foreign ministry has suspended the trip of its new envoy to Venezuela and has recalled its ambassador in Bolivia for consultations. The ministry released statements protesting the official comments of “neighbor governments” regarding the judicial case against former president Rafael Correa. “We see with unease the statements of the presidents of Bolivia and Venezuela, in relation to the imprisonment order given by the Ecuadorian justice system against former President Rafael Correa,” the ministry said. President Lenin Moreno reacted angrily last week to remarks by Venezuelan and Bolivian presidents Nicolas Maduro supporting Correa and criticizing Ecuador’s court system, saying they should mind their own business.

Government eliminates 58% of consultants

The National Secretariat of Communication (Secom) reports that the government has eliminated more than half of the contract consultants in executive offices and ministries. The cuts followed a review of government employment aimed at reducing the current budget deficit. According to Secom, the number of consultants has been reduced from 676 to 282. Secom reports that the cuts are part of the Economic Reactivation Plan legislation recently passed by the National Assembly.