World Health Organization says global pandemic preparedness agreement is falling apart

Jan 23, 2024

Plans for a global pandemic preparedness agreement risk falling apart amid wrangling and disinformation, according to the chief of the World Health Organization, who has warned that future generations “may not forgive us”.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director general of WHO, says there are still outstanding issues that need to be resolved.

Shaken by the Covid-19 pandemic, the WHO’s 194 member states decided more than two years ago to start negotiating an international accord aimed at ensuring countries are better equipped to deal with the next health catastrophe, or to prevent it altogether.

The plan was to seal the agreement at the 2024 World Health Assembly, the WHO’s decision-making body, which convenes on 27 May.

However, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO’s director-general, said the momentum had been slowed down by entrenched positions and “a torrent of fake news, lies, and conspiracy theories”. He warned that if nobody was prepared to seize the initiative or give ground, the whole project risked going nowhere.

Tedros told the WHO’s executive board in Geneva on Monday: “Time is very short. And there are several outstanding issues that remain to be resolved.” Failure to strike an agreement would be “a missed opportunity for which future generations may not forgive us”, he said.

Tedros said all countries needed the capacity to detect and share pathogens presenting a risk, and timely access to tests, treatments and vaccines. He called for a “strong agreement that will help to protect our children and grandchildren from future pandemics”.

Tedros said claims that the accord would cede sovereignty to the WHO or give it the power to impose lockdowns and vaccine mandates were false. “We cannot allow this historic agreement, this milestone in global health, to be sabotaged.”

WHO member states decided in December 2021 to create a new international instrument on pandemic prevention, preparedness and response, aimed at ensuring the flaws that turned Covid-19 into a global crisis could never happen again.

The WHO emergencies director, Michael Ryan, reminded countries how the pandemic “ripped apart our social, economic and political systems and became a multi-trillion dollar problem”. In the midst of major geopolitical conflicts, “this is one thing the world agrees on”, he said.

Roland Driece, who is co-chairing the negotiations, said the project had condensed a seven-year process into two years. He said the accord should be ambitious, innovative and with clear commitments.

On the disagreements, he said European countries wanted more money invested in pandemic prevention, while Africa wanted the knowledge and financing to make that work, plus proper access to pandemic “countermeasures” such as vaccines and treatments. He said there were two sessions of two weeks left to do an “extreme” amount of work.

Parallel negotiations are also going on to reform the international health regulations (IHR), which many countries felt had been found badly wanting. Under these, Tedros declared Covid-19 a public health emergency of international concern on 30 January 2020 – the highest level of alert available under the regulations.

But it was not until March 2020 when he described the worsening situation as a pandemic – a word that does not exist in the IHR vocabulary – that the world jolted into action, by which time the virus was already widespread. Tedros declared an end to the international emergency in May 2023.

Ashley Bloomfield, the chief executive of New Zealand’s health ministry during the pandemic, is co-chairing the IHR negotiations. Like Tedros, he criticised a “coordinated and sophisticated campaign” of misinformation and disinformation attempting to undermine the process.

He said there were 300 proposed amendments to plough through during the talks.
_________________

Credit: The Guardian

CuencaHighLife

Dani News

Google ad

Cuenca

135,000 w realtor, 130,000 w/out realtor

Bedrooms: 2

Bathrooms: 2

Gran Colombia Suites News

Thai Lotus News

Amazon Eco lodge News

Hogar Esperanza News

Google ad

Quinta Maria News

Fund Grace News

The Cuenca Dispatch

Week of April 07

Ecuadorian coffee production is in decline and now supplies only 50% of national consumption.

Read more

Evaluating the Impact of Ecuador-Mexico Diplomatic Strain on Trade Relations.

Read more

The contribution of hydroelectric plants is declining, and Colombia is reducing electricity sales to Ecuador.

Read more