Several hundred gathered Saturday afternoon in Montañita for a march to remember two women from Argentina murdered last month and to condemn violence. Among the marchers were family members of the victims, Marina Menegazzo, 21, and Maria Jose Coni, 22, from Mendoza, Argentina.
The women’s bodies were discovered March 1, several days after they were killed, police say.
In a new development in the case, a third suspect is being questioned in connection with the murders. He is a Venezuelan identified only as JM, or “El Chamo,” who was arrested Wednesday for possession of 13 grams of cocaine. He appears in a photo of the murder victims taken in Montañita days before they were killed.
Police say that JM has not yet been formally charged in the murders.
On Saturday, President Rafael Correa again offered his condolences to the family of the victims and said that that Ecuadorian law enforcement is doing all it can to solve the crime.
Members of the victims’ families say that there are still many unanswered questions in the murders and say they not entirely satisfied yet with results of the investigation. On Thursday, the families said that independent investigators from Argentina had confirmed most of the findings of Ecuadorian police.
Hernán Ulloa, attorney for the families, said “There is still much work to be done in this case and we are determined to see that it is done and that justice is served.”