The city of Cuenca’s public procurement office says that the contract to rehabilitate San Francisco Plaza will be awarded on January 30. The start of the $1.53 million project was postponed from late last year due to negotiations over loan terms with the state development bank.
According to the city, the contractor will have 10 months to complete the work that will begin in February.
The city continues discussion with plaza vendors over the design and location of sales kiosks but says talks are going well and will be completed before construction begins. Most vendors will be relocated during the work.
Mayor Marcelo Cabrera says he’s pleased the project is finally beginning. “This has been a very long time coming,” he said. Five attempts have been made to revitalize San Francisco Plaza since 1956, most of them foiled by disagreements with vendors.